History of Barmera Uniting Church


Barmera Congregational Church (about late 1920s)

Planning for the formation of a Congregational church in Barmera began in September 1919 and the first minister Rev J H Datson was appointed in December that year. The first services were held in a marquee which was blown into Lake Bonney in a storm not long after. In February 1920 a building (probably the one on the right in the photo) was transported from Tailem Bend. This was used for worship services by several denominations.

The present church building was opened in 1922 for the Barmera Congregational Church. It became part of the Uniting Church of Australia in 1977 when the Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian churches in Australia combined.

The following document outlines the history of the Barmera Congregational Church from 1919 to 1977.
History of the Barmera Congregational Church.  

 

 

Service Times

Barmera: Sunday, 10am
Nookamka Tce, Barmera 5345

Berri: Sunday, 10am 
Denny St, Berri,
5343

Berri children in church

Contact us

Berri Church

Denny Street, Berri
Phone: (08) 8582 3669
Postal: PO Box 860, Berri. SA 5343

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Berri-Uniting-Church/452145444857374

Anne Chase, Secretary of Church Council
(08) 8582 1954
ajchase1@bigpond.com

John Chase, Chairperson of Church Council
(08) 8582 1954
ajchase1@bigpond.com

Nick Cuteri, Treasurer and Hall Hire contact,
nickcuteri@gmail.com

Barmera Church

80 Nookamka Terrace, Barmera
Postal: PO Box 413, Barmera. SA 5345

Visit us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/unitingchurchbarmera

Jenny Keane, Chairperson of Church Council
0419 213 018

Jill Harris, Treasurer and Hall Hire
(08) 8588 2460

 

Minister

Rev Sandy Webb
(08) 8582 2524
0409 699 995